ENVIRONMENTAL VISUAL COMMUNICATION
Co-founded by Dave Ireland in 2012, the EVC Program is a graduate certificate offered at the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) by the School of Environmental and Natural Resource Sciences at Fleming College.
The only program of its kind in Canada, it teaches students how to use photography, videography, multimedia and design principles to bridge environmental competencies with thoughtful communication through diverse media channels.
2016 - 2017
"Curatorial and Communication Strategies"
A truly unique applied course that combines a seminars delivered by the ROM's team of expert staff with working sessions where students contribute to exhibitions, programs, publications, video projects, and online experiences.
Taught by Dave Ireland: 2012 - 2017
Over 75 students have graduated from the intensive 7-month graduate certificate program, with 65% of graduates working within the communication or environmental sectors.
The EVC program prepares students to work in the environmental sector by providing them with a unique set of skills and the ability to develop a highly marketable portfolio.
- Environmental communications consultant with conservation or environmental organizations, etc.
- Photographer, videographer, editor or multimedia producer
- Communications strategist
- Scientific communicator for science journals and publications, academic and research institutions
- Environmental educator with school boards, non-profit organizations, and government agencies
- Interpreter roles with national and provincial parks, zoos, museums and galleries